Hogeschool Rotterdam Willem de Kooning Academie

International Students

International Students

Information for international students
Note: Everything mentioned on this page does not concern your application package. It is only relevant to you if you have been accepted into the study programme and are about to move to the Netherlands. You will receive more detailed information on all below requirements upon your acceptance.

International students must fulfill a number of requirements to be able to study in the Netherlands. The main requirements are proficiency in English (see TOEFL/IELTS section in Application Requirements) and a valid residence permit. Non-EU students, however, have to fulfill a number of additional conditions in order to qualify for a residence permit.


EU and EEA countries
The current EU (European Union) and EEA (European Economic Area) countries are:

  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Bulgaria
  • Croatia
  • Cyprus
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxemburg
  • Malta
  • The Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Romania
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • United Kingdom

Residence permit
EU nationals do not need to apply for a residence permit in advance, but they do have to register with the Civil Affairs Department (‘Dienst Burgerzaken’ at city hall) of the municipality in which they will live. We inform you of the application deadline upon your acceptance.

Official address in the Netherlands
In order to register with the Civil Affairs Department in Rotterdam, or any other place in the Netherlands which you have chosen as your city of residence, you will need an official tenant’s contract as well as a form signed by the landlord or organisation that you rent from. This form should state that he or she is the owner of the building and legally allowed to rent it to you or let you stay as a guest. This form can be obtained at the local city hall.

Non-European students

For non-EU/EEA students, the annual tuition fee for the full-time course differs from EU/EEA students. Non EU first year students cannot pay the tuition fee in instalments. See updated fee information in Tuition Fees.

In order for NON EU citizens to receive their entry visa and/or Dutch residence permit, these students need to prove that they have sufficient funds to finance their stay. The IND (Dutch immigration office) has set this amount at 883 Euros per month for 12 months (10.596 Euros).

The costs of the visa and residence permit application is 171 Euros.

NON EU citizens have to transfer the entire amount of above listed costs along with their tuition fee into the Hogeschool bank account before their visa and residence permit can be applied for.

This transfer will need to be done before June 15th and can be paid through a foreign bank account or credit card. All cost of living expenses will be refunded into the students’ Dutch bank account after their arrival in the Netherlands and opening of a Dutch bank account. Before you can open a bank account you need to be registered in the Municipality in the Netherlands. You have a period of 6 weeks to show your registration.

The only exceptions are when the student is already living in Holland with a residence permit and / or receiving scholarship[s]. Should this be the case the procedure will be different and handled individually. Team Student Support from the Centre of International Affairs (COiA) will contact you about the visa procedure.

Study visa
Students from non-EU countries need to obtain a visa before they can enter the Netherlands.
For information about the visa procedure please check the website of the Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences, Centre of International Affairs.

If you are accepted to the Piet Zwart Institute, the Centre of International Affairs  will apply for an entry visa on your behalf. This procedure is faster and more secure than applying for a visa independently.

Non-EU students who need to apply for entry visa to be able to study in the Netherlands must pay their fees and provide proof that they have sufficient funding to live and study in the Netherlands before June 15th.

Please note that