|MA Education in Arts – Piet Zwart Institute |
Seeking a graduation supervisor and course tutor Graduation Project Seminar
Deadline for applications: Thursday June 30, 2022
Piet Zwart Institute / Willem de Kooning Academy
The Piet Zwart Institute houses the international Master programmes of the Willem de Kooning Academy, Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences. The different programs offer a rich combination of in-depth specialization and transdisciplinary exchange with a view to imagining the future. Students and tutors come from around the globe, bringing a variety of languages, perspectives, cultural influences and international connections to an intimate learning environment.
The Master of Education in Arts is two-year part-time research master. The relation between practice and theory is central to the program: students design, experiment and research pedagogical models and tactics. Focusing on the interstices of research, pedagogical experimentation, interdisciplinary art/design practices, cultural critique and social practices, the course welcomes practitioners in the fields of secondary and higher art/design education, museum education, as well as artists and designers challenging the boundaries between socially engaged practices and experimental pedagogy. We regard collaborations and interdisciplinary exchanges as essential to the future of education.
To complement the current team, we seek a candidate with an in-depth knowledge of practice based, educational and artistic research. Knowledge of contemporary developments in art and design education and pedagogical theory and philosophy and the ability to be able to converse between different levels (secondary, higher art education, museum education, participatory & collective practices), is highly recommended. For this position, it is essential to connect theory and practice in a stimulating, critical and engaging ways. The role requires working closely with students and supporting their research interests.
– Familiarising students with the processes of research, the movement between evaluating, test-casing and observing participatory/pedagogical/educational practice and critical reflection/theorizing.
– Supervising graduation research on a master level in the field of art and design education and adjacent experimental fields.
– Teaching various practice-based research methodologies (theoretically and pedagogically underpinning, designing and evaluating educational projects and collective/participatory practices).
– Showing ways of structuring and gathering documentation material of practice-based research creating meaningful connections and building a coherent narrative.
– Fostering academic writing skills, and learning students how to focus their research.
– Presenting and discussing inspiring and exemplary research practices.
– Ample experience in teaching and supervising at a master level within the field of art and design education with an engaging and student-centred approach.
– Excellent English language proficiency.
– A curious, engaged, critical and research-oriented attitude.
– Ability to work independently, while carefully coordinating tasks in alignment with the staff and management of the course.
– Experience with working in larger educational/cultural institutions.
Application should include the following:
–A portfolio of professional practice and teaching examples
–A letter of motivation: teaching methods and pedagogical position
Piet Zwart Institute
The Piet Zwart Institute offers a notable professional, progressive and international educational environment. The post holder reports directly to the Course Director, and works collaboratively with other core tutors within MEiA’s integrated curriculum structure.
Salary and employment conditions
The Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences (Hogeschool Rotterdam) offers a contract of FTE 0.1, with the possibility for extension and future permanent contract and the possibility to grow into a more extensive, future teaching position in terms of hours. The salary range is HBO-CAO grade 11 (EUR 3381 minimum and EUR 5332 maximum gross per month) for fulltime employment, exclusive of 8% holiday pay and 8.3% end-of-year bonus. Our fringe benefits include an attractive pension scheme.
Please send your application documents: Curriculum Vitae, a portfolio of professional practice and a letter of motivation, directly to our course coordinator: Susana Pedrosa firstname.lastname@example.org and course director Ingrid Commandeur at email@example.com.
All documents must be submitted in English. A committee will review all applications and invite short-listed candidates for interviews in the first week of July.