Please join us for: PRIORITIES: THE TALK SHOW
Any one of us could have done this, but we chose to do it together. We met for coffee: so, what are our priorities? We floated these words: agency, queer politics, materiality, artistic sustainability, ethics, ecology, normativity, and the position of the artist today. Priorities: The Talk Show is an exhibition and symposium initiated and produced by artists in year one of the Master of Fine Art at the Piet Zwart Institute. We approach learning through conviviality and deep hanging out. Let’s have three days of fika! Comfortable seating doesn’t make lazy listeners. We want scholars to be present and the ignorant schoolmasters in the audience to interrupt. Questions?
We work well together. Let’s see if our works do the same. It will be a great exhibition! Featuring the artists Connie Butler, Angelica Falkeling, Tor Jonsson, Ash Kilmartin, Anni Puolakka, Nicholas Riis, Erika Roux, Eothen Stearn, Viktor Timofeev and Daniel Tuomey.
Based on the format of a live TV talk show, we are hosting workshops, talks, screenings, performances and meals across several spaces in the Piet Zwart Institute. We managed to come up with some shared territories. Even if we didn’t use a voting process, the outcome seems to be the same as if we did: a bit of compromise, and something for everyone. Joining us on the show with their own priorities are Florian Cramer, Egon Hanfstingl, Alex Martinis Roe, Sofia Stevi, Jan Verwoert, and Louwrien Wijers.
SCHEDULE (subject to modification)
The exhibition in the PZI MFA studios will be open for viewing throughout the weekend, during the event times listed below.
Friday 3 June
– 10am-4pm ‘Our Future Network: Workshop on trans-generational collective politics’, a workshop led by Alex Martinis Roe (reservation required: email@example.com)
– 5pm-7pm PRIORITIES Exhibition opening
– 9pm till late at Performance Bar, Boomgaardsstraat 69, 3012 XA Rotterdam
Friday evening Priorities: The Talk Show takes over Performance Bar for one night featuring live acts by Raluca Croitoru, Angelica Falkeling, Tracy Hanna, Katherine MacBride, NIKA MÚSICA, Anni Puolakka, Eothen Stearn, Daniel Tuomey, Angharad Williams, and Daniel van den Broeke.
– 9:15pm Daniel van den Broeke
– 9:45pm Raluca Croitoru, A demonstrative session of Art History Aerobics perfect for both beginners and advanced
– 10pm Katherine MacBride
– 10:15pm The Post People, Sculptural Grunge and Live Song Writing
– 10:30pm Angharad Williams
– 11:00pm Making Sense of the “Ah” verse/A cult to the dead, by Nika Música
Wall works, drawings, songs, printed images and stories found in real and imagined landscapes, tropical regions and space
– 12am Dear Fear, by Angelica Falkeling, Anni Puolakka, Eothen Stearn
A performance collective working around improvisation.
Composed into three chapters: emotions, rules and fears
Glass breaking onion eating komono; Slapping ass in white wig; Alien in hotpants
Until 2am DJ Piet
Saturday 4 June
– 11am Cooking Together/Eating Together, preparing lunch with Egon Hanfstingl
– 1:30pm Talk and Q and A, with Louwrien Wijers
– 3pm ‘On Criminal Energy: and forces like hate, love or jealousy which give us a clear sense of priorities, but which are difficult to acknowledge openly and may cause us to never learn’, by Jan Verwoert
– 5pm PMS: Piet Monthly Screening, with Erika Roux and Anni Puolakka
Sunday 5 June
– 11am A walk together, with Sofia Stevi
– 1pm Spinozist lunch (It might not be art but at least we can eat off it)
– 2:30pm ‘A Critique of Total Automation and of Folk Politics
and Priorities Poetry Lesson’, with Florian Cramer
– 4pm-6pm Two Yeahs! Live radio broadcast and wrap-up drinks, with Tor Jonsson, Ash Kilmartin and special guests
Piet Zwart Institute-Master of Fine Art
Karel Doormanhof 45, Rotterdam