Willem de Kooning Academy, Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences (WdKA/RUAS), offers a variety of bachelor and master programmes in the field of visual culture, art, design, education in arts, and leisure management.
The academy prepares its students for core professions within the creative industries. The art education programmes play a key role in various knowledge domains including communication & technology, and art & social engagement.
These education programmes prepare students for a career in the cultural making industry: as artists, as designers, as makers and producers, as educators, as researchers, and as organisers.
About the Master of Arts in Fine Art and Design: Fine Art
The Master Fine Art at Piet Zwart Institute (PZI) is a two year English-taught Master of Arts in the Fine Art and Design programme at Willem de Kooning Academy/Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences.
The programme fosters the professional development of emerging artists through exposure to key actors and influences in the field of contemporary art, professional guidance and workshops, and by offering opportunities for presenting ideas and work to wider audiences. Our collective ambition is to provide our students with a challenging, supportive and responsive learning environment, as well as a curriculum that offers the creative structure and committed resources they need to develop their individual and collective senses of artistic purpose and agency.
The Course Director is responsible for advancing the research and teaching missions of the programme, and leading on curriculum and assessment development, faculty and student recruitment, and the management of organizational resources and structures with the needs of our international community in mind.
- Maintains an inspiring teaching and learning environment for staff and students.
- Leads the MFA with vision, and advances the research, teaching and professional missions of the MFA programme in alignment with broader institutional agendas at PZI and WdKA.
- Works as a team with other Course Directors of the PZI and Major and Practice leaders at the WdKA.
- Participates in the development of artistic research.
- Promotes the programme, students, faculty, alumni on national and international level.
- Fosters relations with national, international and Rotterdam-based cultural and education organisations, including the Rotterdam Arts and Sciences Lab (RASL).
We are looking for a resourceful and innovative international arts professional, who has imaginative visions for promoting excellence in artistic research and practice, in the context of arts education, but also in the professional field.
- a Master’s Degree or PhD in a relevant field;
- a genuine enthusiasm for working with and mentoring contemporary artists;
- a collegial attitude towards administrative and collaborative work across the PZI/WdKA;
- EU/ECC work authorization;
- fluency in English, and a willingness to learn Dutch.
He/she/they is an excellent communicator who excels at sharing expertise and facilitating exchange within and outside of the MFA programme, in particular with the bachelor programmes of WdKA.
Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences offers a temporary contract, from January 1, 2020 to December 31, 2020, with the possibility for extension into a permanent contract. The salary ranges from €4,326.54 to €5,564.23 gross per month (salary scale 12) for a full time appointment, exclusive of additional 8% holiday pay and 8.3% end-of-year bonus. Secondary benefits include excellent professional training opportunities and an attractive pension scheme.
All staff members of Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences must be able to submit a Certificate of Conduct (Verklaring Omtrent Gedrag, VOG) issued by the Dutch Minister of Justice and Security.
Informal enquiries about the position or the selection procedure can be directed to:
Deadline for applications: October 1, 2019
Online applications through here
Please do not use this vacancy as an acquisition opportunity.